Monday 3 April 2017

Substitute compliments rock! ( Connectedness in class - part 2 )


Getting compliments is nice.
Getting them from your own teacher is very nice.
Getting them from a substitute really rocks!

Jimmy is new in class
So am I that morning.
His table is next to the teachers table.
I know it's for a reason, mostly not for fun.

Jimmy doesn't pay attention to me, unless I specifically ask for it.
He does pay attention to the kids in class and Ronny in particular.
He tells them what to say and do, mostly what NOT to say and do.
I hear words I don't want to hear in class and try to stop it.
I manage to stop the class from responding to Jimmy

Jimmy keeps on doing his talking and shouting stuff
I give a thumbs up when Jimmy is quiet and looks my way
I manage to walk by all the kids and tell them they're doing great
Then I see Jimmy working for a few minutes
I walk towards him and tell him:
"I see you're working hard. You're doing great!"
"I'm doing great. I'm doing great." 
It was Jimmy's immediate response to my words.

Jimmy is new in class
He get's compliments from his teacher, I'm sure of that
And from his parents, I'm sure of that too
But today a new person told him he was able to do something great.

I like to give classes 'free time' when they have been working hard
I was able to compliment Jimmy and all kids in class
I started with 5 minutes 'free time' even before an hour had passed!
"Miss, this is so much fun! This rocks!"






(Proud as a peacock: earning marbles, it's the teachers way of complimenting the class.)

Getting compliments is nice.
Getting them from your own teacher is very nice.
Getting them from a substitute really rocks!

Jimmy still had his moments of needless interfering
I had to guide him throughout the day,
but he sure did earn his free time!
I was glad to have seen his tiny moments of 'doing great'
Jimmy was so much more at ease throughout the day
Complimenting him on those tiny moments, sure paid off!

Ella de Jong
Trainer - Teacher - Writer - Coach



No comments:

Post a Comment